Sunday, January 18, 2015

Soleimany v Soleimany [1998] 3 WLR 811, [1999] QB 785 (CA)

Facts


Sion Soleimany (hereinafter referred to as the father) and his son, Abner Soleimany (refers as the son) were engaged in the export of Persian carpets from Iran. Between 1980 and 1983, the son arranged for the export of the carpets from Iran in contravention of Iranian Revenue laws and export controls. The carpets were sold by the father in England or elsewhere outside Iran.

Disputes arose between the father and the son relating mainly to whether the son had received what he claimed was due to him from the proceeds of the sale of the carpets that he alleged to have arranged to export from Iran.

Both the father and his son, agreed to submit the dispute to arbitration by the Jewish Beth Din, the court of the Chief Rabbi. According to a leaflet provided by the Beth Din, the system of law to be appied by the Beth Din is Jewish law, albeit “sometimes other systems of law may also be relevant…by way of the doctrine of incorporation…” but the decision as to which law to apply “is that of the Dayanim…”.

Award

In the award made by the Beth Din on 23 March 1993, it was noted “The son purchased quantities of carpets and exported them illegally out of Iran.” The award further recognized that the activities in Iran were illegal, stating, e.g., that “By the very nature of the illicit enterprise, few records were kept….In assessing profits the award disallows the full sum claimed by the son on the basis inter alia that no allowance has been made for ‘smugglers’ fees’.” After assessing the son’s share of the profits, the Dayan awarded him UK 576,574 pounds and his costs.

Courts Procedures

1. Court of first instance
After the award was made the son applied to register the award as a judgment under Sect. 26 of the Arbitration Act 1950 as his father dad failed to comply with it. On 4 May 1993, Master Gowers granted leave to enforce the award.
The father applied to set aside the leave for enforcement on the ground that the illegality which was at the root of the enterprise rendered the claim void or unenforceable in an English court, and that it would be contrary to public policy for an award founded on an illegal agreement or transaction to be enforced as a judgment.
The father also sought leave to appeal the award in several instances, but was unsuccessful in this respect. However he was successful regarding the application to set adide the leave for enforcement of the award.
2. Court of Appeal
The Court of Appeal, per Morritt, LJ, Waller, LJ and Sir Christopher Staughton, held that the award, which purported to enforce an illegal contract, was not enforceable in England and Wales.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Finance quick loan offer amount from $3000 to $50,000,000 apply now We give out loans within 1 year to 20 years maximum repayment plan. whatspp Number +918929490461 abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com low interest rate of 2%. Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finance quick loan offer amount from $3000 to $50,000,000 apply now We give out loans within 1 year to 20 years maximum repayment plan. whatspp Number +918929490461 abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com low interest rate of 2%. Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Samuel, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a Russian private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
    Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
    I just said I should share my own story here
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you need Quick Loan to settle your bills and startup
    business? contact us now with your details to get a good
    Loan at a low rate of 2% per Annual
    Do you need Personal Finance?
    Business Cash Finance?
    Unsecured Finance
    Fast and Simple Finance?
    Quick Application Process?
    Finance. Services Rendered include,
    *Debt Consolidation Finance
    *Business Finance Services
    *Personal Finance services Help
    contact us for more information on how to get started:
    (Whats App) number:+919394133968
    please contact email id : patialalegitimate515@gmail.com
    Mr Sorina Jeffery

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELLO VIEWERS

    TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN $300,000.00USD FROM A FINANCE COMPANY LAST WEEK Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Do you need a loan to start a business or pay your debts {Dr.Benjamin Scarlett Owen} can also help you with a legit loan offer. He Has also helped some other colleagues of mine with a loan finance. Get your Blank ATM card or CREDIT CARD deliver to your doorstep that works in all ATM machines all over the world with the help of BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM Machines or swipe, at stores and POS. they give out this cards to all interested clients worldwide, If you need a loan without cost/stress he his the right loan lender to wipe away your financial problems and crisis today. BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly via Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    THANK YOU ALL

    ReplyDelete